Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Job hunting, take 2

When I started sending out resumes in the fall of last year, I knew that most of them would be ignored or dismissed. This time around, that sure seems to be the case once again. I am not surprised.

But, that doesn't mean I can't fight back.

Yes, I've decided that the best way to avoid getting overlooked is to employ the subtle strategy of sounding pompous and cocky!

Actually, that's a bit of an exaggeration. I am merely trying to write to these companies with a confidant tone. If I believe in myself, surely they must believe in me as well, right?

First, let's look at a section of the cover letter I wrote to the CEO of a startup making filters to suck carbon dioxide out of power plant smoke. In it, I compare myself to the CEO himself and suggest that we are sort of kindred spirits:

"I came across your name and company while reading “Earth: The Sequel”. The book mentions describes how you use biological “technologies” such as the carbonic anhydrase enzyme to perform carbon sequestration. In this sense, I believe we have something in common: we are both interested in tackling global warming through biochemistry...

..In short, I hope to one day be among the social entrepreneurs that make clean technology a reality for future generations. I hope that you share this excitement, and are interested in working together. "


Next, let's look at the email I sent back to Verenium, a biofuels startup that sent me what appeared to be some sort of automatic rejection:

"Hi Tracie,

I had a feeling that Research Associate was a little bit advanced for someone with only a BA.

However, I really am interested in working for your company. Do you have any entry-level positions in your San Diego location at all?

I encourage you to look past the research focus of my work experience and recognize that I could be extremely useful to a company such as yours due to my strong work ethic, passion for the cause and people skills. I'm sure that Verenium needs to train strong future leaders, and I think that I could be one.

Thank you for your time,
Yoni "



Finally, we come to Project Better Place, an electric car startup with plans to convert every driver in Jerusalem from gas to electric within the next ten years or so. I filed a comment under the "joint business ventures" section. I don't have the exact text, but I essentially assured them that I have a golden plan to expand their Jerusalem market to young college age students. You see, I said, I'm a young aspiring social entrepreneur who will be a big shot one day. You should hire me.

We'll see how this new approach serves me. Even if I don't get better at actually securing job offers, I'm sure as heck having a lot more fun looking for them!

No comments: