Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Southern Man

Israelis are not known for pitching aliyah as a sugar coated fairy tale (that's Nefesh B'Nefesh's job, with the help of Windows Movie Maker and the Moshav Band). So it came as no surprise to find myself receiving blunt advice and finger-wagging from the shliach aliyah at the Israel Aliyah Center.

He wasn't rude or anything. He was frank. He told me that I don't have any connections in Israel and that in Israel, it's all about connections. My degree means less in Israel than it does in America. Israelis don't really "do" internships. He's met too many people who think that they are going to save Israel, make aliyah and then get nowhere.

Then he asked me where I wanted to live.

When I told him, his face lit up. "You said the magic word: the Negev. I, too, love the Negev and I think more people need to move there."

Within minutes he was on his laptop, scouring the internet for job postings. I told him about my interest in algae biofuels, and he dropped the name of an algae scientist that I recognized from a book I recently read. As it just so happens, he is hiking buddies with this scientist.

The meeting was cut short (he had another meeting), but in twenty short minutes I had gone from feeling like a clueless, over-idealistic American to feeling like this guy's little brother.

Always remember, every sabra is sweet on the inside.

No comments: