Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Jews in "Blink"

Ok, so I'm only about 1/3 of the way into Malcom Gladwell's "Blink", but the Yiddin are already popping up everywhere.

First, there's the psychologist John Gottman who "sometimes wears a Mao cap over his braided yarmulke". Then there's medical researcher Wendy Levinson (no relation).

But the icing on the cake is Raymond Fisman, an economist who appears in a segment about speed dating.

"We've supposedly spawned one long-term romance," Fisman told me... "It makes me proud. Apparently all you need is three to get into Jewish heaven, so I'm well on my way."

On a separate note, if anyone can bring me a source for this oft-quoted, apparently fundamental pillar of the Jewish faith, that would make my day.

1 comment:

Josh M. said...

Apocryphal.

http://hirhurim.blogspot.com/2006/04/shidduchim-ii.html

(The article, unfortunately, seems to no longer be online, but I'm not sure what evidence would be brought for the non-existence of a maamar chazal, anyway)

Blink - and The Tipping Point - are both fascinating books.