Monday, June 30, 2008

The Art of Negotiation

I just read most of "Getting to Yes", a book about negotiation.

It's a great book, and I learned a lot. Now that I am back on the job hunt, I feel that I have a new tool at my disposal. Using the skills I learned in the book, I feel that I can give myself a serious leg up on the job hunt.

There's just one problem. In my head, I can quickly employ the various strategies I have read about. I can make convincing cases, I can steer the conversation where I want - in short, I dominate.

But in reality, this doesn't happen. I get tongue-tied. When the girl from HR tells me that they looked at my resume last night, but there were just SO many resumes, and they didn't think I was a good fit, I just stammered. I still think I'm qualified (ok, thank you). I still want to let you know that I'm interested (ok, good bye). Checkmate.

Why couldn't I think on the fly? Why didn't I point out that the resume is only one factor in deciding who is a good candidate? Why didn't I emphasize the fact that my background couldn't advocate for me as well as I could in person? Why didn't I push for an interview, even if my resume wasn't among the choicest?

Why do I only think of the right things to say after I have hung up the phone?

My other phone call was also cut short, but it's not checkmate yet. The man sounded in a major rush, and he kept saying he was in a meeting (why he was answering his phone during a meeting, I'm not sure). They will get back to me, he said, but he can't talk, he's in a meeting.

Did he mention he was in a meeting?

I suppose these are educational experiences. One day, I will be gainfully employed.

No comments: