Thursday, January 18, 2007

Burn, Baby, Burn

It's been one of those days.

It was the first day of the dreaded, notorious Organic Chemistry Lab. The place where you need to know the difference between a Buchner and Hirsch funnel. The place where you spend hours watching tiny crystals through a foggy lens, waiting pathetically for a sign of melting. The place where a flask never boils when you want it to and almost certainly boils when you don't.

Needless to say, I was a trifle nervous as I walked into the lab at 1 PM this afternoon and thoroughly exhausted when I tumbled out at 5. The vast majority of the 4 hours in between had been spent in one of two states: 1) Waiting forEVER for something stupid to happen 2) Flailing frantically as 7 important things simultaneous happened beyond my control

I returned to my room, intent on depositing my person on the couch and unplugging my brain for a little while. I noticed that it smelled good as I walked in. At first, I thought that it was due to my improved placement of my Yankee Candle electric air freshner, which has been filling the common room with a pleasant aroma of vanilla since I bough it 3 days ago [Note: my roommates claim that the vanilla device delivers something more like a choking odor rather than a pleasant aroma. However, they have failed to consider the fact that they are completely wrong.]

It was, however, something else that was delivering the smell which I fancied. Inside my oven lay two trays of baking hors d'oeuvre... which I shall henceforth christen aw dervs since this is America and language can change if we all try hard enough. Anyway, I remembered that the guys running the Kedma launch party had asked to borrow our oven to heat up their aw dervs and we said "ok".

At this point I found the couch that I had been craving and turned on some tunes and proceeded to recharge my batteries. A few minutes later, in walked Sarah Breger to check on the aw dervs. I stumbled over as she opened up the oven. "They aren't done?" she asked inredously. "They've been in for over an hour, and they're supposed to cook in 20 minutes!"

I looked at her and grinned, as if to say "You're looking at a guy who's been in orgo lab all day. I know ALL ABOUT how much you're supposed to heat stuff. It takes forever!" And with that thought in my mind I cranked the oven all the way up. Sarah smiled and left. I felt vindicated. Sure, I may have failed today in orgo lab because I could boil my benzoic acid sample fast enough, but at least I won't have that problem with the oven and the aw dervs. I may be a lousy chemist, but I am a divine chef. I sat down at my computer and lost myself in facebook for about 15 minutes.

That's about when the smoke alarm went off.

I jumped up and bolted into the common room. The aw dervs were definitely not doing well, and the smoke was cascading down the front of the oven door like a Waterfall from Hell. With the kind of energy only supplied by rare bursts of adrenaline, I had the windows open in seconds flat, fanned the smoke detector and sat down next to the oven with a small electric fan pointed directly at it.

The top tray is pretty burnt. I hope the Kedma staff doesn't flay me alive. I ruined their aw dervs and now no one is going to read about Israel, or the Jewish people, or baseball or childhood or whatever the heck Kedma is all about. I turned the heat down to make sure I don't burn the lower tray. I hope they finish baking before the launch in 13 minutes...

At the rate I'm going, don't count on it.

No comments: