Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Zero hour

Chemistry seems to bring out the blogger in me.

First came Blorgo, my organic chemistry blog. Here, I wrote little rhymes about sulfanations and outlined the chapters with cheerleader-like pep. Those were heady, romantic days. I loved orgo. The mechanisms tickled me with their elegance and understandability. The blog, originally intended as a study aid for my peers (I still can't believe this never caught on) instead became a diary in which I documented my lovely reactions.

But then I entered the bleak netherworld of physical chemistry, and the verdant leaves of orgo withered in the autumn chill of wavefunctions and Eigenvalues. Once again I stood on the mountaintop that was my blog and I shouted out - this time in pain, in agony. I lamented the lost SN1/2 and E1/2 reactions. I missed the predictable leaving groups, the strong nucleophiles, the syntheses of yore.

For this entire year I have trudged through the mire. I have dwelt in the shadows of p-chem. And tomorrow morning I will take the final exam and leave this accursed realm forever. The demons of Schroedinger, Gibbs, Helmholz, Bolzmann pursue me as I take flight, but in 12 mere hours I will evade their wiry clutches.

And though my journey has been wearisome
Though it has shaken me to the core
I know now I will visit
This subject nevermore

No comments: